Fox News

I had to call police after Tucker Carlson targeted me on air

Carlson told his audience of millions the newspaper was working on a story ‘about where my family and I live’. He also called reporter Murray Carpenter ‘a political activist’

.uspg
US PRESS GROUP

A photojournalist said he hid in fear in his own home, locking himself in an upstairs room with his family, after people tried to break in when he was named on air by the Fox News host Tucker Carlson.

Freelance photographer Tristan Spinski was working on an as yet unpublished story for the New York Times about Carlson’s life in Maine, where he spends summers, when the presenter named him and reporter Murray Carpenter on his show on the night of 20 July.

Carlson told his audience of millions the newspaper was working on a story “about where my family and I live”. He also called Carpenter “a political activist”.

According to a chilling 911 transcript published by the Washington Post, within about an hour of the broadcast, people came to the door of Spinski’s home in Maine and tried to break in.

In the call, made to Lincoln county at 9.57pm, Spinski’s brother-in-law reports “loud banging noise downstairs and some threats coming to the house recently just in the past hour”.

He adds that they had received a call and a voicemail “saying ‘We know where you live, beware’ and things of that nature”.

When the dispatcher asks about the threats, Spinski’s brother-in-law explains that after the mention by Carlson, Spinski had been “getting threats all night long”.

“We’re currently upstairs but they’re trying to break in downstairs,” he says.

The transcript appears to show Spinski joining the call, saying “there is definitely people on our property” and that they are “locked upstairs in the house”.

He adds: “Yeah, there was a definite … we can feel our house when someone is trying to get into it downstairs. It was significant.”

The New York Times told the Post it had been in discussion with Fox News for “several days” and had “assured them” it did not plan to photograph Carlson’s home or publish his address.

Despite this, Carlson told viewers: “So how would Murray Carpenter and his photographer, Tristan Spinski, feel if we told you where they live? If we put pictures of their homes on the air?”

Carlson did not say where either journalist lived. Carpenter, however, also reported being harassed.

The Lincoln county commissioners office confirmed it provided the transcript of the 911 call that was made to its communications centre on 20 July, but said it could not confirm the names of the callers.

Fox News did not immediately respond to requests for comment. The New York Times pointed to its comments to the Post.

Spinski also did not immediately return a request to comment. But he has said that since the incident, he has sought to distance himself from the story.

“I’m apolitical in my work, and this has politicised my role in some ways,” he told the Post. “I can’t photog[raph] a story that I’m a part of, if that makes sense.”

Read more

Jeff Sessions claims he’s clueless about his DOJ’s snooping on Congress

Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions is telling associates he had no idea his Justice Department seized phone records of two top Democratic congressional critics of then-President Donald Trump. In the hours since The New York Times broke the news on Thursday that prosecutors subpoenaed Apple metadata from Reps. Adam Schiff (D-CA) and Eric Swalwell (D-CA), former Attorney General Sessions has privately told people that he wasn’t aware of, nor was he briefed on, the reported data seizures while he led the Trump DOJ. This week’s revelations were a surprise to him, according to a source familiar with the matter, and another person close to Sessions.

Watchdog investigates seizure of Democrats’ phone data

The US justice department’s internal watchdog launched an investigation on Friday after revelations that former president Donald Trump’s administration secretly seized phone data from at least two House Democrats as part of an aggressive leaks inquiry related to the Russia investigation into Trump’s conduct.

Attacks on Dr. Anthony Fauci grow more intense, personal and conspiratorial

For over a year, Anthony Fauci has been a bogeyman for conservatives, who have questioned his handling of the Covid-19 pandemic and accused him of quietly undermining then-President Donald Trump. But those attacks took on a whole new level of vitriol this week, to the point that one social media analysis described it as highly misleading and at least one platform pulled down some posts, citing false content. It all stemmed from a tranche of Fauci’s emails that were published as part of a Freedom of Information Act request filed by various news outlets. Within hours of publication, the hashtag #FauciLeaks was trending on Twitter.

“Next time I’m in the White House”

Donald Trump has appeared to drop his strongest hint yet at another presidential run in 2024, responding to news of his two-year ban from Facebook on Friday by saying he would not invite Mark Zuckerberg to dinner “next time I’m in the White House”.