Copyright Complaint

Eddy Grant sues Trump campaign over use of song

Grant argued in the complaint that the president and his campaign "have continued to willfully and wrongfully infringe Plaintiffs' copyrights"

.mpg
MUSIC PRESS GROUP

Musician Eddy Grant sued President Trump's re-election campaign on Tuesday, alleging that it was infringing on his copyrights to the hit song "Electric Avenue."

Grant filed the complaint in federal court in New York in response to a video Trump promoted on his Twitter account on Aug. 12 that attacked Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

Grant argued in the complaint that the president and his campaign "have continued to willfully and wrongfully infringe Plaintiffs' copyrights."

"As of the date of this filing, the infringing video is still available on Twitter," Grant stated in the complaint, which argued the campaign's use of his music was unlawful.

The Aug. 12 video, which has been viewed nearly 14 million times on Twitter, includes "Electronic Avenue" in the background as the campaign attempts to portray a contrasting image between the president and Biden. The animated video shows a train with the Trump campaign's logo followed by a railroad handcar the former vice president is manually operating.

Wallace E.J. Collins, Grant's legal counsel, issued a cease and desist letter to the Trump campaign just a day after the video was posted on Twitter, according to a statement on the singer's website. In the letter, Collins said Grant was the exclusive copyright owner of "Electric Avenue" and that the song being used by the campaign would result continued harm of the musician's reputation.

“If you know my client’s reputation, then you know that this Infringing Use in connection with the name Trump in a political context is a serious transgression,” Collins said, requesting the campaign immediately stop using the song.

Grant added: “I call upon such arbiter, as is responsible for this sordid abuse, to come forward like a man and let’s sort this thing out, in the way that America demands when such issues are to be sorted, especially when they are wrong."

Grant alleged on Tuesday that the campaign will continue to use his music unless blocked by the court.

Grant's complaint adds to a chorus of musicians who have spoken out over the Trump campaign's use of their songs in recent years. Artists including Adele, Elton John and Rihanna have either disavowed or threatened legal action over the Trump campaign's use of their music.

Neil Young in early August filed a copyright infringement lawsuit alleging the campaign was playing his music without proper licensing.

Read more

Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies aged 87

The supreme court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died of pancreatic cancer, the court said Friday. She was 87. Ginsburg was the second woman appointed to the court in history and became a liberal icon for her sharp questioning of witnesses and intellectually rigorous defenses of civil liberties, reproductive rights, first amendment rights and equal protections under the law.

Trump 'associates' offered Assange pardon

Two political figures claiming to represent Donald Trump offered Julian Assange a “win-win” deal to avoid extradition to the US and indictment, a London court has heard. Under the proposed deal, outlined by Assange’s barrister Jennifer Robinson, the WikiLeaks founder would be offered a pardon if he disclosed who leaked Democratic party emails to his site, in order to help clear up allegations they had been supplied by Russian hackers to help Trump’s election in 2016.

“That’s Their Problem”

First-person accounts of a tense meeting at the White House in late March suggest that President Trump’s son-in-law resisted taking federal action to alleviate shortages and help Democratic-led New York. Instead, he enlisted a former roommate to lead a Consultant State to take on the Deep State, with results ranging from the Eastman Kodak fiasco to a mysterious deal to send ventilators to Russia.

Trump's nasty business with the Secret Service

President Trump’s luxury properties have charged the U.S. government more than $1.1 million in private transactions since Trump took office — including for room rentals at his Bedminster, N.J., club this spring while it was closed for the coronavirus pandemic, new documents show. The documents, including receipts and invoices from Trump’s businesses, were released by the Secret Service after The Washington Post filed a public-records lawsuit.