DOJ has opened a criminal investigation into Bolton's book
The Department of Justice has launched a criminal investigation into the possibility that former national security adviser John Bolton "unlawfully disclosed classified information" in a memoir he published earlier this year, The New York Times reported Tuesday.
Citing conversations with three people familiar with the matter, the Times said DOJ "has convened a grand jury, which issued a subpoena for communications records from Simon & Schuster, the publisher" of Bolton's book, "The Room Where It Happened," which was released in June.
The Trump administration had previously tried to block the book's release in court, arguing Bolton did not complete required pre-publication of the manuscript to make sure classified information was not contained in it.
A federal judge rebuffed the administration's attempts, but left open the possibility that Bolton could face criminal charges or be forced to hand over profits related to the book.
The Times reported that two of the people familiar with the issue said Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe referred the matter to DOJ last month. The move prompted the head of the department's national security division to open the criminal investigation, a person briefed on the case told the newspaper.
Bolton, who served for a time as President Donald Trump's national security adviser, has said he has complied with all of the revisions requested by the White House.
Attorney General William Barr declined to comment on the matter when asked about it on Tuesday by CNN.
The Times noted that Trump has signaled that he wants Bolton prosecuted, including in tweets this summer in which he claimed Bolton "broke the law" and "should be in jail, money seized, for disseminating, for profit, highly Classified information."
Bolton's memoir presents a damning picture of Trump's White House. He wrote that the President only genuinely cares about his reelection and asked leaders of Ukraine and China to help him win in November.
Bolton also said Trump is woefully uninformed about basic matters of foreign policy and is obsessed with shaping media coverage of his presidency.
The president’s “devolution into disbelief,” as the Washington Post described it, has led him to seize on unfounded conspiracy theories and turn to loyalists who’ll promote them. Donald Trump, unwilling to accept his defeat to President-elect Joe Biden, has spent the past three weeks in denial. Though his crusade to shift the outcome of the 2020 race has failed, his efforts will nevertheless leave a lasting stain on public faith in America’s elections.
The United States’ leading infectious disease expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci, warned in a Sunday Meet the Press interview that another surge of Covid-19 cases “super-imposed on that surge that we’re already in” might be coming, in large part due to the Thanksgiving holiday.
President-elect Joe Biden's victory over President Donald Trump in Wisconsin was reaffirmed on Sunday after a recount was completed in one of the state's largest counties. The recount in Dane County, which was requested by the Trump campaign, showed Biden won by 181,340 votes as the President-elect's lead narrowed by 45 votes.
A Donald Trump supporter who donated $2.5m to help expose and prosecute claims of fraud in the presidential election wants his money back after what he says are “disappointing results”. Fredric Eshelman, a businessman from North Carolina, said he gave the money to True the Vote, a pro-Trump “election ethics” group in Texas that promised to file lawsuits.